8 Ways to Relax Before Finals
BIBLICAL POINT OF REFERENCE:
“Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life, and that day catch you by surprise like a trap. For that day will assault everyone who lives on the face of the earth. Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent and to stand before the Son of Man.”
~Luke 21: 34-36
For most of us college kids, it's a short ways away before we are hunkering down to study and cram for those semester final exams. But it's important to chill and rest during these last hectic days, so I've created a list of ways we can all relax before our finals. Take a look and let me know what you think!
1. Have a movie night. Your brain needs a rest before you cram for those exams, so distract yourself with a classic film, some popcorn, and a relaxing night! My choice movies: The Princess Bride, Ever After, and any of the Harry Potter films.
2. Arts and crafts. Get your creativity flowing during some fun crafting time! Not only does this relax your brain, but it is fun, enjoyable, and artistic too! My choice crafts: Scrapbooking, doodling, and sewing.
3. Read a book before bed. Put those phones down and quiet your mind with a good book. I've always been a big fan of traveling to other worlds through stories and novels, and this is yet another way to release tension before going to sleep. My choice books: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell, and any of the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling.
4. Go out for a meal with friends. Get a change of scenery from your dorm room window and have some fun with friends! I find the best way to do this is with food (because food), as nothing relaxes me more than something delicious! My choice finals week foods: Ice cream, grapes, and bagels.
5. Go to Confession. Nothing starts off finals week better than a clean slate and a heart full of Jesus! Take whatever past mistakes and concerns you have and let them go for a pure start to your finals week. My choice pre-Confession routines: Meditate on the 10 Commandments, say a Divine Mercy Chaplet, and sit in the presence of Jesus.
6. Take the time to get ready in the morning. Not only have researchers said that this helps put you in a better mood for the day, but it also puts you in the mindset that you can do anything, especially with God at your side! Take the time for yourself and you can do anything! My choice ways to spend time on myself in the morning: Do my hair in a unique style, wear a color I feel confident in (red all the way), and drink a glass of cold water before heading to breakfast.
7. Take a moment to call a member of your family. I call my family members more than most people, but I'm a firm believer that it is a great way to get your mind off exams (or life for that matter) for a couple minutes and see what's new with your loved ones. My choice family members to call: My mom, my dad, and my sisters.
8. Go to Mass or Adoration. The best way for anyone to relax is with Jesus in the Chapel. Let Him ease your mind and give Him your worries before you head into finals week. Let Him heal you and comfort you so that you have the peace of mind you need before taking your exams. My choice: Jesus, our Lord and Savior.
Your Laughing Sister,
Check out the BEING GODLY WOMEN and PRAYER quotes pages for more inspiration!